Last Updated on May 23, 2022 by Snezana Grcak
GIG Car Share
After looking into car rental platforms, Shuttle Fare’s team shift its focus to the most popular car-sharing apps on the Google Play and Apple Store. Today’s topic is the Car Share company headquartered in Northern California. Our full-scale review will introduce you to the GIG Car Share locations, reservation process, prices, and contact details. You’ll also find user reviews and the best alternatives on the market.
What Is GIG Car Share?
As of April 2017, GIG Car Share has been providing cost-effective car-sharing services in Sacramento, San Francisco Bay Area, and Seattle. It offers hybrid and electric vehicles, reducing the carbon footprint and making the company stand out from the crowd. Powered by AAA, all GIG reservations include insurance, fuel, and parking. There are no sign-up membership fees, and the process of creating an account and reserving a car is painless. Discover the step-by-step procedure and GIG Car Share rates in the following section.
How To Sign Up & Reserve a GIG Car
- Scan your driver’s license and credit/debit card and take a selfie to complete registration. Approval may take from several minutes to 48 hours, and the app does a $50 hold to verify your funds.
- Go through the list of available cars in the area and book a vehicle up to 30 minutes ahead of time. Alternatively, you can approach a GIG car on the street and hop on if the windshield light is green.
- Enable Bluetooth on your phone or get a GIG Card to unlock the car. We suggest requesting a GIG Card through the app so that you can (un)lock the vehicle no matter the phone battery life or cell service.
- Get in, push the “Power” button, and hit the road. GIG allows you to go wherever you want and make a stopover anywhere in the U.S. as long as you end your trip in the HomeZone*.
- Park free of charge in the GIG-designated parking lots within the HomeZone. Use the phone app to find a suitable spot in the area. Read the signs, follow regulations, and avoid no-parking zones or areas within 12 hours of street sweeping.
*The HomeZone refers to the area where you begin the trip—see its boundaries within the app. You can also see GIG-designated parking spaces where you can leave the vehicle temporarily or when you complete the journey. To end GIG trips successfully, select “End Booking” on the GIG Car Share app, and wait for the green light to appear on the windshield.
Discover GIG Car Share Rates
The company calculates the lowest rates and charges you for the duration of your car rental. Prices vary, and GIG Car Share Sacramento deals are more affordable than those in Seattle and San Francisco. Check out the GIG Car Share price list, and then see how to lower the expenses.
Take advantage of prepaid rentals, or see if you can get a GIG Car Share promotion code and cut your costs.
- If your GIG trip takes less than one hour, check your app for a Golden Gig to get a reduced rate.
- If you’re an AAA Member, contact the GIG Member Support team to receive your 10% discount.
Note that every GIG trip includes insurance, electric charging or gas (a fuel card is in the glove box), maintenance, HomeZone parking, and AAA roadside assistance. You’ll also have 24/7 support at hand.
How To Cancel Your GIG Trip
You can cancel the trip free of charge through the GIG Car app. Find your booking within the app or contact Member Support for assistance. The GIG Support team is available 24/7, so feel free to reach out at any time—find the phone number in the following section. Note that, after canceling your booking, you cannot make another reservation for two hours.
Reach Out to GIG Customer Service
You can contact the GIG Car Share Customer Service team at any time for any reason. Depending on the issue or its urgency, choose one of the following ways to do that:
- Call (800) 464-0889.
- Send an email at [email protected].
- Fill out the contact form here.
- Click the Member Support button within your app.
Before you reach out, you can go through FAQs on the Help Center page and possibly find the answer to your question.
The Best Car-Sharing Alternatives
With so many car-sharing apps, opting for the most reliable and affordable one can be stressful. That’s why we comprised the top 5 platforms providing similar services and listed them below.
Click on any link for more info about the service, go through its booking process, or discover the reviews. If you’re searching for a ride to or from an airport, we recommend Shuttle Fare’s car rental deals. Compare the features or prices to find the deal that suits your needs, travel plans, and budget.
GIG Car Share Reviews + Bottom Line
The Shuttle Fare team did a little digging into GIG Car Share and user reviews to make sure the app is as reliable as its website claims. While the ratings on both Apple and Google Play stores are good, reviews on other platforms aren’t so favorable.
While the plan and design are amazing, the service is still rough around the edges. According to GIG users, it’s the customer service and support that requires the most improvement. The Member Support team replies quickly but doesn’t or can’t always solve the issue. Also, not all vehicles have been fueled up or as clean as they should be.
However, if we collect all reviews from all platforms, the majority will be positive, so we suggest you give GIG Car Share a try. As always, our team recommends checking out the above-listed alternatives to compare prices and possibly find a more cost-effective deal.